Are you looking to renovate your basement into a more functional space for your family? If so, we’ve got some great ideas for a finished basement that will turn your basement into your favourite room in the home!
A basement is like a blank canvas that allows you to create just about anything you envision. While you may have some limitations due to the amount of space you have in your basement, there are many basement ideas for small spaces you can incorporate. So, don’t let a small basement stop you from creating a basement you will love. Some of the most common basement ideas are a basement apartment, an additional bedroom and a bar.
Why You Should Finish Your Basement
Finishing your basement is a worthwhile investment for many reasons. It allows you to make the most out of every square inch of your home by turning it into a more useful room like a family room where lasting memories can be created.
Another advantage of finishing a basement is reduced energy costs. Unfinished basement walls tend to let in drafts, resulting in the loss of heat. When basement walls are properly insulated, you can keep the cold air out in the winter and the cool air inside during the summers, allowing you to save on your family’s energy costs.
Finally, a well-designed basement can add value to your home. Because they are a coveted feature in a home, homeowners across the country are willing to pay more for a home with a finished basement. So completing your basement is an investment that essentially pays for itself over time.
Basement Bar Ideas
Installing a bar in your basement is a good idea particularly if you like to entertain. Turning what can often be a gloomy room into an enjoyable space can be quite the task. But with some creativity, a good layout plan and some wet bar ideas for your basement you can be on your way to a unique basement bar fit for your needs.
Some creative basement bar ideas include:
- Custom pullout drawers. These types of drawers allow you to stock your bar well by providing storage space for bottles. This is a great way to maximize space.
- Unique seating. One way to make your basement bar stand out is by incorporating seating that is unique and brings out the fun and creative side of you. You can select booth-style seating which tends to add a friendly feel to your bar or incorporate personalized stools.
- Plank countertop. If you have a small basement and space is an issue, find ways to maximize that space. Remember, you don’t have to have a full-sized bar. You can still enjoy having a bar in your basement in a way that works well for even smaller basement spaces. A plank counterpart gives the bar a luxurious look and makes great use of corner space.
- Lighting. Since basements are known to be dark, think about ways to incorporate lights to illuminate your bar area. You can either hardwired lighting or you can have some lamps and other options at the lighting options to help how to brighten things up.
Small Basement Ideas
You can still enjoy the advantages of a well-designed and useful basement on a smaller scale. If space is limited, consider creating a kitchenette instead of a full-sized kitchen and use the remaining area for a different purpose. By incorporating a sink area, some countertop space and a mini-fridge, you can have the benefits of a full-size kitchen while making the most of the space.
Some other basement ideas for small spaces are:
Finished Basement Ideas
The ideas for a finished basement are endless. With creativity and the right team of professional contractors to help, you can transform your basement into just about any kind of room possible. Some common ideas for a finished basement are:
- Family room
- Game room
- Children’s playroom
- Home entertainment centre
- Basement apartment
Basement Bedroom Ideas
You can never have too many bedrooms in a home. Create an extra bedroom in your home by transforming your basement into a nice, quiet, cozy bedroom for guests or family members to enjoy.
One of the first things you should think of doing is making sure the walls are well insulated. This will affect the comfort of the room and will also keep the noise down to a minimum. Some basement bedroom ideas to consider are:
- Incorporating visual space. You can make even a small basement look more spacious by choosing a floor plan that allows for as much open space as possible. Another way to “trick” the eyes is to add mirrors.
- Use warm colours. Some colours are known to enhance rest and relaxation. Warm hues like golden yellow or cream have a warm appeal. These are a good choice for your bedroom basement. You can also use a splash of colour as an accent.
- Add carpet. Since basement floors are cold, install a carpet to give the room a warm feel and to further insulate the basement.